According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there are approximately 166 traumatic brain injury-related deaths every single day. That amounts to around 61,000 traumatic brain injury-related deaths in the United States every year
Yet, even though not everyone that suffers a traumatic brain injury passes away, those that survive this devastating injury can still have their lives forever changed by the debilitating symptoms, excruciating pain, and extensive medical expenses that this injury often results in.
However, if you suffered a traumatic brain injury because of another person’s wrongful actions in New Port Richey, you need to remember that you do not have to deal with these substantial damages on your own.
Instead, you need experienced legal help on your side, going after the compensation you deserve for the injuries and losses you sustained. That is why The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine are here for you, ready to fight for your rights and the justice you are entitled to.
The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine New Port Richey’s Traumatic Brain Injury Law Firm
The attorneys at The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine have been committed to providing aggressive advocacy on behalf of their clients since the firm’s inception twenty years ago. As a result of this hard work and dedication to clients’ needs, the firm has not only grown significantly, but it has helped thousands of injured individuals get the justice they deserve and obtained millions of dollars on their behalf through settlement awards and court verdicts.
Yet, even though each case the firm takes on is different and financial recovery is not guaranteed, when you work with The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine, we can assure you that our attorneys can personally handle every aspect of your case and fight hard for every last dollar your injury has cost you.
What Does a Traumatic Brain Injury Entail?
Usually, a traumatic brain injury occurs when the brain suffers some sort of trauma, which causes physiologic changes to an individual’s brain.
The four main types of injuries that can result in a traumatic brain injury include:
- A penetrating brain injury: These injuries result when an object enters the brain and causes damage to its neurological structure.
- An anoxic brain injury: This brain injury occurs when there is a reduction of oxygen to the brain, which causes the cells in the brain to die.
- A closed brain injury: A closed brain injury tends to occur when the brain tissues strike the inside of the skull leading to bruising, bleeding, tissue damage, fluid buildup, and neurochemical changes.
- A toxic brain injury: Typically, a toxic brain injury results when a person is exposed to a toxic chemical or ingests it, and the chemical crosses the blood-brain barrier and kills or damages the brain cells.
What Types of New Port Richey Accidents Lead to a Traumatic Brain Injury?
Although most traumatic brain injuries tend to result from a blow or other blunt force to the body or the head, many accidents give rise to these devastating injuries, such as:
- Motor vehicle accidents, including crashes involving cars, trucks, bicycles, and motorcycles. These accidents are especially common on some of the more dangerous New Port Richey roads, such as US Highway 19, State Road 52, State Road 54, and deadly intersections including Congress St. and Massachusetts Ave.
- Explosive blasts
- Violent acts due to domestic violence, assault, or abuse
- Sporting injuries, often due to extreme sports or high-impact sports such as boxing, hockey, or football
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from significant heights
However, if you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury in an accident that is not indicated above, do not hesitate to reach out to an experienced New Port Richey accident lawyer at The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine as soon as possible. These attorneys can quickly get to work reviewing your accident, figuring out whether you have a viable claim, and helping you understand the legal options you can pursue.
Following a Traumatic Brain Injury Accident The Signs and Symptoms
Because these traumatic brain injuries can occur for many reasons, the symptoms that result often include several psychological and physical effects. Yet, even though these effects are wide-ranging, some symptoms arise more frequently than others.
- Speech issues
- Blurred vision
- Hearing issues
- Sensitivity to sound and light
- Mood changes
- Slurred speech
However, even if you do not see any of these symptoms appear right after your accident, you should still get to a doctor as soon as possible, primarily since brain injuries are known to be a rapid and silent killer.
Compensation Available in a New Port Richey Traumatic Brain Injury Accident Lawsuit
If you have been injured in a traumatic brain injury accident due to another person’s wrongful actions, you may be entitled to certain types of compensation.
In Florida, this compensation often includes the following damages:
- Medical bills including past, present, and future medical expenses (such as hospital stay, doctor visits, prescription medications, surgery, and assistive medical devices)
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Personal property damages
- Rehabilitative services, including occupational and physical therapy
- At-home nursing care
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of reputation
In addition, you may also be able to receive punitive damages. However, unlike the other damages, which are intended to compensate the victim for the harm they endured, punitive damages are meant to punish the defendant for their wrongful actions and to deter others from committing the same act in the future.
As a result, to be awarded these damages, a victim’s lawyer needs to show through clear and convincing evidence that the defendant was personally guilty of gross negligence or intentional misconduct.
The Statute of Limitations Following a Traumatic Brain Injury Accident in New Port Richey
Before you can collect compensation for the injuries and losses you suffered in a New Port Richey traumatic brain injury accident, you need to first make sure that you still have enough time to file your case.
The statute of limitations is a law that dictates the maximum amount of time a person has to file a lawsuit following an alleged offense. If they do not file this suit within this deadline, they cannot seek compensation for their damages.
In Florida, the statute of limitations to file an injury claim following a New Port Richey traumatic brain injury accident is four years from the accident. However, exceptions to this rule can shorten or extend the deadline.
That is why it is best not to wait too long to reach out to an experienced New Port Richey traumatic brain injury accident attorney, like those at The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine, after an accident. These legal professionals can promptly look over your case, figure out exactly how much time you have to file your claim, and ensure that all your legal motions and documents are prepared correctly and filed before time runs out.
How Much Is a New Port Richey Traumatic Brain Injury Case Worth?
Unfortunately, when it comes to a traumatic brain injury case, no lawyer can tell you exactly how much money you can obtain for your injuries and losses. This is because there are just too many factors that can impact the value of your case.
For instance, your lawyer will need to consider:
- The extent and the severity of the brain injury following the accident
- The medical treatments required after the brain injury accident
- Whether you will need ongoing medical care
- The extent of the pain and suffering following the brain injury accident
- The ability to work following the brain injury accident
- The defendant’s culpability
- The credibility of the evidence and witnesses presented
- The ability to perform normal activities, after the brain injury accident, without help
Yet, even though an attorney cannot tell you the exact value of your brain injury claim, when you work with a skilled traumatic brain injury attorney at The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine, we can review all of these factors, figure out which ones can apply to your claim, and build the strongest case in response to them. Ultimately, going after the most money they can on your behalf.
What You Should Do Following a Traumatic Brain Injury Accident in New Port Richey
Following a traumatic brain injury accident in New Port Richey, you need to seek medical assistance right away. Brain injuries are incredibly hard to diagnose and may even appear, at first glance, as if there is nothing wrong.
However, the longer a victim of this injury waits to get treatment, the more severe and deadly the injury can become. For these reasons, it is best to get examined by a health care professional as soon as possible following the accident.
Besides, getting medical treatment after the accident can also help your case. This is because insurance companies will often try to find anything they can to reduce the amount of money they provide you. As a result, by not getting prompt medical treatment, these companies will argue that your injuries are not that serious or result from a subsequent event.
Once a medical professional has examined you, these doctors will jot down information about your accident and injuries in their medical report, providing you with evidence of a direct link between the accident and your brain injury.
In addition, following your accident, you should also try to document or obtain any other evidence that can help show what happened and the extent of your damages.
This evidence can include:
- Police reports
- Medical bills
- Proof of lost wages and time missed from work
- Witness statements
- Pictures and videos of the accident scene
However, if you cannot obtain some of this evidence after the accident, do not worry. Once you hire a skilled New Port Richey traumatic brain injury attorney, these legal professionals can work on obtaining this evidence for you.
How Can The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine Help You After a New Port Richey Traumatic Brain Injury Accident?
A brain injury accident can forever change your life, impacting your ability to work, form relationships, and be there for your family. Worse yet, the legal process involved to obtain compensation for these losses and damages is often long and tedious, requiring individuals bringing the claim to have a solid understanding of the state’s laws and be able to present strong arguments and relevant evidence proving their case.
However, with The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine fighting on your behalf, you will not have to take on this challenging legal battle yourself.
Once you retain our legal team, we can:
- Evaluate your case, determine if you have a viable claim, and figure out which legal options are available to you.
- Answer all the questions and concerns you have regarding your case and the legal process involved.
- Investigate your brain injury accident and gather the evidence needed to show what happened and who was at fault.
- Bring in the experts such as doctors and accident specialists to substantiate your claim.
- Handle all the discussions and negotiations with the other side and the insurance company.
- Take your case to trial if the other side is unwilling to negotiate fairly and fight for maximum compensation.
That is why, if you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury in a New Port Richey accident, it is time to get the legal help you need by contacting The Law Offices of Lucas & Magazine. Call us today at (727) 849-5353 for a free case evaluation, and let us show you how our attorneys can help you.